Book Review: The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids
Illustrator: Marie Letourneau
Type: Picture book, 32 pages
Reading Grade level: 2-3
Age Range: 3-8
What a fun and enjoyable read! My child is smitten with the illustrations and the story. The rich blend of realism and illustrations made for a very imaginative read. We both enjoyed reading this story and my little girl keeps requesting that we read this one over and over again. She now wants to go to the beach and search for tiny mermaids.
I am also fascinated myself with the illustrations. The mermaids are original, detailed and just fantastically crafted. The illustrator blended the real images with the illustrations perfectly. If you have a young girl, this is a great book to pick up for them.
As far as reading level, I have an advanced young reader, reading at a first grade level. She read the book easily and only stumbled over a few words. The typography was easy to read and they did cute accents with different fonts that still remained legible.
In the Kid’s Words: “It has a lot of great things about girly stuff! One of the mermaids has a crazy hat. I can read this book everyday and I can read it myself, except for a few words.”
Latest posts by PJKids (Posts)
- Thrice Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold #3) by Jean Ferris – 05/20/2013
- Monster High It’s Alive Clawdeen Wolf Doll – 03/25/2013
- Give Up, Gecko!: A Folktale from Uganda by Margaret Read MacDonald – 03/20/2013
- Book Review: A Frightful Recipe by Notti Thistledore – 03/18/2013
- Bratz Bratzillaz Doll – Jade J’ Adore Review – 02/22/2013