Romancing the Weekends: I am addicted to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
PJV Quickie: Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite books, and the Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a clever and entertaining take on what Pride and Prejudice might have been if the Bennets had lived in the 21st century.
(That’s Lizzie and her sister Lydia. OMG Lydia – she’s just as wild in these video diaries as she is in the original story.)
The series starts off with that famous line:
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune…must be in want of a wife.”
- on a T-shirt!!
Developed by Hank Green and Bernie Su, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries follows Elizabeth Bennet through the day-to-day adventures of her marriage-minded mother, older sister Jane and younger sister Lydia (only 3 daughters in this adaptation). Lizzie is a graduate student and this video diary is part of her study. Jane is starting a career in fashion. Lydia is…Lydia – ’nuff said.
At first I was kind of intimidated by how many episodes there are (it’s not finished as of this post), but they flow easily (they usually hover around 4 min/episode, although they can run a bit longer or shorter). It took me a few days to get through them, and I’m only part way through Lydia’s vlogs. I love the new ‘feel’ of the characters: Wickham is a swim coach, Bing Lee (Bingley) is a medical student. It’s different enough to hold my attention but stays close enough to the story line that they feel like old friends. I also love that the cast is multicultural and more representative of modern society.
I’m up to episode 87, where Wickham and Lydia – well, I’m not going to spoil it but it sufficeth to say, it’s good. I mean, it’s bad, very bad, and I’m dying to know what happens next!!
*cough-look away Rachel-cough* This is why I missed my weekend post last weekend – I had been so busy watching this series that I hadn’t been reading!
Fans of Jane Austen adaptations are in for a treat – you don’t want to miss this!
Other adaptations you might like, similar to ‘The Lizzie Bennet Diaries’
Latest posts by Patti (see all)
- While it Lasts by Abbi Glines – May 11, 2013
- Bare It All by Lori Foster – May 4, 2013
- Time for a Quickie: Some Mini-Reviews – April 28, 2013
- Five Summers by Una LaMarche – April 27, 2013
- Same-Sex Sunday: Tigers & Devils by Sean Kennedy – April 21, 2013
- The Summer He Came Home by Juliana Stone – April 20, 2013
- Bite Me Your Grace by Brooklyn Ann – April 13, 2013
- The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm – April 6, 2013
- Review and Giveaway of The Wanderer by Robyn Carr – April 1, 2013
- LUSH by Lauren Dane – March 30, 2013