Ellie James, author of The Midnight Dragonfly series visits Parajunkee’s View and gives us the 411 on being a psychic.
You Might Be Psychic If….
You think about a friend and within minutes, your phone beeps. It’s a text—from that friend. You grin, thinking how cool it is that you knew the text was coming. Maybe you even summoned it. Maybe you sent a thought directly from your mind to your friend’s. You’ve heard about that. And you did know when your boyfriend was lying. You did. You felt it. Every time you looked at him, you got that sick feeling inside, because you knew that instead of going home after dropping you off, he went back out. You are so psychic.
Or are you?
Maybe, maybe not. We all have bizarre, strange, cool experiences, the kind that make the hairs on the back of our neck lift. But sometimes those experiences have pretty boring, logical explanations. Maybe your friend calls you at the same time everyday, on her way home from work. You thought about her because it was time for her to call. And your boyfriend. Maybe he’s got a history of lying and running around. You suspect what he’s up to, because it’s what he’s always up to.
So how do you tell the difference? How do you know? How do you know if logic or chance is at play, or you’ve really got something psychic going on?
Here are a few clues.
You might be psychic if…
- Your friends arrive to pick you up, and suddenly you’re freaking out. You don’t want to go to that party anymore. You don’t want them to go. Maybe you all agree to change your plans—or maybe they go without you—but it’s not until hours later that you stand there cold and shaking as you learn that something really bad happened. Maybe you always take the same route to school or work. Maybe you get in your car and back out of the driveway, but suddenly go left instead of right. You don’t know why. It’s only later that you learn about the guy that ran the red light and plowed into a car, at the exact second you would have been there. Or maybe it’s bigger than just you. Maybe you’re in the bank and you get a sick feeling in your stomach, or you see a bridge and start shaking , because suddenly you’re quite sure something terrible is going to happen, and it does. This happens to you, over and over and over—without any other logical explanation.
- You’re standing with a group of people, maybe friends, maybe not, and you know exactly what they’re thinking. It’s like there are two conversations happening, the conversation with their mouths, and the conversation within their minds. You can hear both…
- You go to a party. This time you’re in a perfectly good mood. You walk inside, and all the sudden your throat tightens and you stand there, gripped by every emotion you’ve ever felt—happiness and sorrow, excitement, despair, loneliness, jealousy… They’re all there, the feelings of everyone in the room, circling around you and through you, tighter and tighter, until it’s all you can do to breathe…
- You’re still at the party. You’re trying to make yourself stay, but every time you look at someone, you see a veil of color vibrating around the outline of their body. When you approach those with a green or blue aura, the jitteriness inside you subsides. You feel calmer, more at peace. But then someone surrounded by a shimmer of red walks by, or brown or black, and suddenly you know you’ve got to get out of there…
- You want to leave. You have to leave. But you can’t find your friend. The last you saw her she was outside… But suddenly she’s there, tugging you aside and asking you why you want to leave…
- You have these dreams, these really intense, overwhelming dreams. Maybe they’re good, like you see yourself walking down the beach with a guy you’ve never seen before, only to bump into him within a few days. Or maybe they’re not so good, like seeing a bus in a ravine or a plane falling from the sky. Then, at some point in the future, days, weeks, sometimes longer, you see the exact images from your dreams on the news….
- You’re on vacation. You go to an old castle or battlefield, and somehow you know, you know where everything is without being told. It’s as if you’ve been there before…
- Or maybe it’s a person, a new girl at school or a guy from the party, or maybe it’s your aunt’s new baby… The second you look into their eyes, it’s like this place inside of you shifts, and all these feelings move through you, as if you’ve known this person forever. Maybe you feel immediate warmth, or maybe it’s immediate cold. Regardless, you know them.
- You’re at a garage sale and pick up this cool paperweight, or maybe it’s a lamp, a vase…whatever. But the second you pick it up, the second you touch it, a slideshow of images seizes you, as if the object itself is telling you its story…
- You’re back at home, watching TV or playing a video game. All the sudden an image of your best friend flashes into your mind, or maybe it’s your sister or your mom. You get cold. You start to shake. Maybe you even think you hear them scream. Five minutes later you get the phone call…
- When you dream, you’re convinced you’re no longer in your body, that you’re traveling somewhere else… Sometimes your grandfather is there, the one who died two years ago. He’s telling you things…warning you.
- When you wake up, you discover that you’ve scribbled stuff in your journal—or drawn a detailed picture, even though you can barely manage a stick figure.
- Freaked, you look across the room, and the pencil on the floor suddenly lifts and floats toward you…
Yeah. If these experiences are part of your life…you definitely might be psychic.
In the Midnight Dragonfly series, sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour sure could have benefitted from a list like this. But her grandmother didn’t want Trinity to know. Her grandmother was scared of where Trinity’s abilities might take her, the danger they might attract. So she built a pretend world for Trinity, weaving the illusion that Trinity was just like everyone else.
But Trinity’s not like everyone else. She is the first born daughter, of a first born daughter, of a first born daughter, all in a long line of powerful psychics. She’s fully aware that she has these visions, visions that always come true, but it’s not until she finds herself in New Orleans that the full scope of her birthright—and her destiny—come into focus. Her visions escalate, and soon she finds herself in a terrifying race against the clock….
About the Midnight Dragonfly Series
Glimpses. That’s all they are. Shadowy premonitions flickering through sixteen year old psychic Trinity Monsour’s dreams. Some terrify: a girl screaming, a knife lifting, a body in the grass. But others–the dark, tortured eyes and the shattering kiss, the promise of forever–whisper to her soul. They come without warning. They come without detail.
But they always mean the same thing: The clock is ticking, and only Trinity can stop it.
Find out how in Shattered Dreams, Broken Illusions, and Fragile Darkness, available from Griffin Teen!
About Ellie James
Most people who know Ellie think she’s your nice, average wife and mom of two little kids. They see someone who does all that normal stuff, like grocery shopping, going to soccer games, and somehow always forgetting to get the house cleaned and laundry done.
What they don’t know is that more often than not, this LSU J-School alum is somewhere far, far away, deeply embroiled in solving a riddle or puzzle or crime, testing the limits of possibility, exploring the unexplained, and holding her breath while two people fall in love.
Regardless of which world Ellie’s in, she loves rain and wind and thunder and lightning; the first warm kiss of spring and the first cool whisper of fall; family, friends, and animals; dreams and happy endings; Lost and Fringe; Arcade Fire and Dave Matthews, and last but not least…warm gooey chocolate chip cookies.
Latest posts by Parajunkee (see all)
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau – May 20, 2013
- Feature & Follow #149 – May 16, 2013
- Ten Tips for New Bloggers – May 16, 2013
- The Adventures of Evil Book Blogger Ep. 1 – May 15, 2013
- PJV News: Hot Books Releasing Today – May 14, 2013
- Breath by Jackie Morse Kessler – May 13, 2013
- Feature & Follow #148 – May 9, 2013
- Twitter Etiquette – May 9, 2013
- My Favorite Book is become a movie…an obsession story. – May 8, 2013
- ‘Til The World Ends (Anthology) by Julie Kagawa , Ann Aguirre and Karen Duvall – May 7, 2013