Say no to music/sound/auto-play video.
The use of music has NEVER been a good idea when integrated it into a design. Yet, no matter how many times I tell clients that music is no good, they still insist on it. Only in certain RARE occasions can it be implemented with awesome results:
- If you are a band or musician (band’s song auto-plays)
- Movie Web Sites (autoplay trailer)
- Small Sound Effects
On any other site, the first thing someone is going to do, is click away or look for the MUTE/PAUSE button.
Especially if they are browsing in a “quiet” environment — then it will invoke a sense of panic to the user. No one wants to invoke a fight or flight response when viewing a web site. You might love that song — but chances are that the majority of your readers will not. Especially if they are viewing your site at work! Take it off, or disable Auto-Play and just have it so the user has to click PLAY to start the music or video.
Latest posts by Parajunkee (see all)
- Audiobook Review: The Program – May 21, 2013
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau – May 20, 2013
- Feature & Follow #149 – May 16, 2013
- Ten Tips for New Bloggers – May 16, 2013
- The Adventures of Evil Book Blogger Ep. 1 – May 15, 2013
- PJV News: Hot Books Releasing Today – May 14, 2013
- Breath by Jackie Morse Kessler – May 13, 2013
- Feature & Follow #148 – May 9, 2013
- Twitter Etiquette – May 9, 2013
- My Favorite Book is become a movie…an obsession story. – May 8, 2013