- An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.
dystopia. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved January 28, 2010, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dystopia
Here are features of Dystopian Fiction:
- Post-apocalyptic setting, usually there is the background story of natural disaster, revolutions, war, climate change, some kind of devastating event that changed society
- Dystopians are normally future based
- A difference in the standard of living than what we enjoy in today’s society. This can be a poorer standard of living, as in The Hunger Games, or sometimes a more materialistic environment, like such in Brave New World and Uglies.
- The main character questions society, or is exposed to the baser ideals of their society within the plot, leading them to the knowledge that something is terribly wrong with their world.
- There is usually a group/revolution occurring within the novel that the controlling state does not have control over that the protagonist teams up with or strives to join/become like, although nothing is being changed by the character or group. In Brave New World, this group is comprised of the people on the reservation.
- Dystopian fiction typically elaborates on the darker society trends that effect us today. Usually the reader can identify things within our own society that could lead to this future terrible state.
- Within the plot of a dystopian fiction, the protagonist usually will try to escape or bring down the society that restricts them
- Open to everyone (if you do not have a blog, just state in the comments section that you read the book and on what date)
- Any book format – Wiki list of dystopian lit
- Books can be chosen throughout the year, but must have been read within the timeline. Just because your read Fahrenheit 451 in 7th grade doesn’t mean it counts.
- Sign-up below with Mr. Linky
- Post your reviews in the comments area
- Three Levels:
- Level 1 – Experimental – 5 books
- Level 2 – Addict – 10 books
- Level 3 – Junkee – 20 books
This is on your honor, so please play nice!
Latest posts by Parajunkee (see all)
- Feature & Follow #149 – May 16, 2013
- Ten Tips for New Bloggers – May 16, 2013
- The Adventures of Evil Book Blogger Ep. 1 – May 15, 2013
- PJV News: Hot Books Releasing Today – May 14, 2013
- Breath by Jackie Morse Kessler – May 13, 2013
- Feature & Follow #148 – May 9, 2013
- Twitter Etiquette – May 9, 2013
- My Favorite Book is become a movie…an obsession story. – May 8, 2013
- ‘Til The World Ends (Anthology) by Julie Kagawa , Ann Aguirre and Karen Duvall – May 7, 2013
- Hot Books Releasing Today – May 7, 2013